The New New: Using Coaching to Shift from Uncertainty to Possibilities
Our world is experiencing uncertainty like never before. Dr. Marcia Reynolds explains the power of cultivating emotional awareness and presence to successfully coach people through times of fear and doubt.
In this episode, Cathy and Marcia discuss:
- What it means to coach the “new new” and why it’s critical to move forward
- Why leaders need to understand what empathy really is
- Which coaching skills are most effective when people are experiencing uncertainty, fear and doubt
- Defining what presence means by understanding your experience and emotional reactions
- Mental habits needed to help develop presence and emotional awareness:
- 1. Activating the vagus nerve and connecting your head to your heart
- 2. Practice compassionate care and curiosity
- 3. Release judgment
- Advice for developing coaching skills that build emotional awareness
- Recommendation for foundational coaching programs and details about Marcia’s book
Dr. Marcia Reynolds has 40 years’ experience developing effective leaders world-wide. She understands organizational cultures, what blocks communication and innovation, and what is needed to bring people together for better results. She has coached leaders, delivered leadership and emotional intelligence programs, and spoken at conferences for clients in 43 countries. Prior to creating her own business, she ran training departments for healthcare organizations and technical corporations. Currently, she is the training director for the Healthcare Coaching Institute. She was the 5th president of the International Coaching Federation (ICF) and is one of 20 coaches recognized by the ICF in their Circle of Distinction. Marcia’s doctoral degree is in organizational psychology with a research emphasis on the challenges of female leaders. She also holds two master’s degrees in education and communications.
- “We’re seeing a lot more interest in the whole coaching process because we’ve got to change the way we see things or we won’t survive.”
- “Presence is really being here with you, out of my head, not thinking, and putting through emotions, feeling the emotions that will make you feel safe.”
Mentioned In This Episode:
Coach the Person, Not the Problem: A Guide to Using Reflective Inquiry:
Coach the Person Resources – https://covisioning.com/coach-the-person-resources/
Links to resources:
Did you enjoy this blog?
Sign up to receive a weekly notice.