We’ve been working with coaches who’ve had the perfect plan. They had great jobs, but wanted more. So, they planned to keep working as they got their coaching business up and running.
It’s a good plan. You don’t have the stress of money while you build your list. You can maintain the same standard of living and finance your new business with money from your day job.
We plan things out so carefully, and then… things outside our control, ruin our plans.
In the last couple months, we’ve heard story after story about coaches who go to work one day and the doors are locked without notice. Some have severance packages and others don’t.
Of course you’re shocked! Who ever anticipates something like that. You’re wrapped up in doing the best possible job and building your business. You may have missed some of the signs and there may not have even been signs.
I could sit here and tell you what all your options are as far as getting retribution, but, in most cases, it’s not worth the time and effort to get something that’s not there. They wouldn’t have closed if they were making money. If they were bought out or merged, that may be another story and worth a visit to your attorney – if you have a contract.
Take a deep breath and focus on a best possible outcome. For most of you – it’s to get your business going asap. It may be to get a part-time job and focus on taking control of your own future.
In the next week or so we’ll be releasing a visualization exercise to help you stay focused on what is within your power and to let go of the resentment and fear. Remember, you can control your focus and the more you focus on what is possible, the more everything will turn around for you.
“You can’t calm the storm… so stop trying. What you can do is calm yourself. The storm will pass.” Timber Hawkeye
According to “The Penny Hoarder”, there are ways to reduce your cost of living. In their article “Here’s How I Make a Good Living Without Working Full Time” some suggestions include: (ADAPTED)
1. Control Your Expenses – be frugal. Keep your fixed expenses low. Notice people like Warren Buffet living in a mid-range home as one of the richest people in the world, there’s a lot of comfort in that.
2. Diversify Your Income – have more than one source of income. Coach one-on-one, write blogs, and monetize them, do group coaching, run group programs that add income up quickly. Get another part-time job if you need to. Sell things you don’t use anymore.
3. Always have money in the bank. Save whenever you can.
4. Always look for new sources of income. Set up a membership and help people online, or find other coaches and refer back and forth. Look for doctors, chiropractors, dietitians who don’t have time to coach – share referrals and help them keep their patients on track.
5. Get temporary projects or work. Remember your end game and try to stay focused in that direction.
6. Only incur debt that improves your financial situation.
7. Plan for changes beyond your control. EXAMPLE – if this happens, then ……
“Sometimes the bad things that happen in our lives put us directly on the path to the best things that will ever happen to us.”Unknown
Deciding if it’s time to launch your business full force should be an easier decision that it is when you’re under pressure to decide now. When you’ve just lost your job, it’s time to consider. Entrepreneur has an article on questions to ask before you quit your day job. I’ve adapted it for you – who’ve not had the choice about the job, but still have a lot to consider.
- Is the timing right? WELL… kind of seems like it. You’ve really already made the decision.
- Is this going to make you happier? Many people suffer in their jobs and stay out of fear. If having your own health coaching business and being the boss won’t make you happier, don’t do it.
- How will you cover expenses? You will have to hustle. Get some clients, start building a list, and work like you’ve not worked before.
- Do your family and friends support you? Be straight with them, if you’re going to do this, they need to put on a positive face and be supportive. Be real, it won’t always be easy and they have made the same commitment as you.
- How much are you willing to change your lifestyle? This is pretty solitary and structure is important. Is this for you?
- Do you have the discipline? That means not taking a break to watch soaps or spending half the day at the gym (if you’re not being paid for it), or stopping to make a large family dinner and do laundry when you should be working.
- Do you need to learn anything you don’t already know? Arrange for it.
- Do you have a business plan? It’s time. You need a plan to get going and stay going in the right direction.
- Am I sure my business idea is sound? Talk to experts, SBA, do some market research.
Don’t put it off. Now’s the time to go full steam ahead. Consider action steps that will move you closer to your goal. When you finish an action step – do another.
1. What can I do to get a new customer now? Do it RIGHT NOW.
2. What can I do to build my list now? Do it RIGHT NOW.
3. What can I do to build my business now? Do it RIGHT NOW.
These little actions taken one after another will add up to make big results. I’ve watched it time and time again.
Make sure you’re taking advantage of all you already have. Many of us don’t have a clue what all we’ve accumulated in knowledge, good will, expertise, connections, or resources. Go through them all and focus on how they can help you reach your goals now.
Get into a group or find a coach to hold you accountable.
Stay in an optimistic mind set so you are looking at what can be instead of what was. You are in complete control of your mindset.
We have packages to help speed up the process. Invest in the right tools and join our Inner Circle for Building Abundance to create a health coaching business plan and Online Marketing Mastery to setup your online list-building funnel.
Set an appointment with Sandee today to help get started; www.chatwithsandee.com
Platinum Package (Includes Business Planning, Online Marketing Mastery, List Building Pkg, and business coaching)
Inner Circle (Includes BA, OMM)
Tell me where you are in your business building and what you’re stuck on. Let’s see if we can get you “unstuck”. Comment below.