Operations Manual 101
Most of our coaches are already ahead of 95% of health coaches, you have a business plan. That business plan gives you focus, clarity and the ability to go to the bank for a loan if needed. We haven’t talked about an operations manual, and now is the time to do that. While you’re setting up your procedures and when you may be starting out with a team or growing your team is the perfect time to create your operations manual.
What is an Operations Manual?
An operations manual is documentation of any and all practices and procedures of your business. You have operations manuals for anything that you own that takes instructions. Think about your last cell phone and the book that came along with that with instructions for everything. That is what you’re creating for your business, a document that lists everything you do and all the steps you take and anything you use to do it.
An example would be setting up a Facebook advertisement – from beginning to end.
Another example would be hiring procedures, from beginning to end.
An operations manual should be set up in a way that someone could step in, in an emergency and run your business tomorrow with your written instruction.
MARKET YOUR THCG PROGRAMS
Attend the free two-hour workshop
on July 17, 10cst, 11edt
Founder, The Health Coach GroupCathy helps health coaches build and maintain successful businesses that improve the lives of others.
Why Have an Operations Manual?
This is going to be the most boring thing you do. Each of my team members is required to document their procedures…and it’s like pulling teeth. It just isn’t fun to do it.
- An operations manual add market value to your business. That means if you decide to sell, it is an asset and adds to the value of your company.
- Quality of service. An operations manual can take what the owner of the company would do and pass it on to employees so that there isn’t a standard that is upheld by all.
- Training Tool. The manual will allow directions to be followed exactly without taking the time and trouble of the owner.
- I know, it never happens…but just in case you forget how you did it the first time, you’ll have instructions the 2nd time and you won’t have to do all the research and mistakes to do it again.
- If something happens to the owner, someone can walk in tomorrow and keep your business going.
- The process of creating the manual gives you the opportunity to re-evaluate and improve operations.
What Should be Included?
- Job Descriptions
- Documented Processes
- Rules, policies
- Location of any items
- Emergency Procedures
- Long and Short Bio
- Client Clarity/Niche
- Mission Statement
- Values Statement