Eating Disorders with Melainie Rogers
Diets and eating disorders are nothing new to our society, unfortunately. However, conversations around intuitive eating and how to treat disordered eating are becoming more popular. Melainie Rogers talks with Cathy about why it’s necessary to understand our relationship with food, how to address our health in truly healthy ways, and why mental health is vital to overcoming eating disorders.
In this episode, Cathy and Melainie discuss:
- How to recognize when someone is struggling with food
- The difference between disordered eating vs. eating disorders
- Why clean eating is not the same as healthy eating
- How social media can impact body image
- Why diets don’t work and alternatives to dieting
- The Health at Every Size Movement and intuitive eating
- 7 Pillars of Health: No smoking, drink less alcohol, joyful movement, more fruits and vegetables, less processed food, eat when hungry, stop when you’re full, improved sleep
- Why establishing healthy habits is more effective than weight loss programs
- Why mental health issues and eating disorders are on the rise
Melainie Rogers MS, RDN, CDN is a Certified Eating Disorder Registered Dietitian (CEDRD) and Supervisor and is dedicated to supporting others in their quest to achieve long-term recovery. She is the Founder and Executive Director of BALANCE eating disorder treatment center™ and melainie rogers nutrition, llc in New York City.
Born, raised, and educated in Melbourne, Australia, Melainie earned her Masters in Clinical Nutrition at New York University. She developed her passion for treating clients with eating disorders while working at St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Columbia Obesity Research Center in New York City. Her understanding of the research behind obesity gave her a unique perspective on binge eating disorder and eating behaviors in general. In 2002, Melainie developed the largest private group nutrition practice specializing in eating disorders in NYC before establishing BALANCE eating disorder treatment center™ in 2009.
A dynamic speaker, educator, and publisher, Melainie is the co-founder and first President of the International Association of Eating Disorders Professionals (IAEDP) New York Chapter and currently sits on the Advisory Board with Center for the Study of Anorexia and Bulimia (CSAB). She recently launched and published Redefining Wellness: The Ultimate Diet Free Guide, a free e-book that contains contributions from 150 eating disorders and mental health experts.
- “What’s your relationship with food? How much of your day do you spend thinking about food, calories, body image, and your weight?”
- “The brain and the body are not designed to go on yo-yo dieting…the body will fight back…the brain becomes obsessive.”
- “All of us can be healthier at whatever weight we’re at.”
- “We’re trying to expand the focus around how can I be healthier without focusing on the number on the scale because it doesn’t capture everything…”
Did you enjoy this blog?
Sign up to receive a weekly notice.