You can cook with it…I don’t do that. If I popped my own popcorn, I would certainly use it for that. Coconut oil tastes delicious and the health benefits are astounding!
Coconut oil is in each one of our showers….it is a great cleanser as well as a moisturizer. It is also on my nightstand as a moisturizer. There is a lot to be said for anything that is chemical free that we can use on our bodies. There are some people who use coconut oil on their faces. I do not because it gives me pimples and makes my eyes burn if I get it near my eyes.
Coconut oil is great to massage into your scalp. It is nice for the hair and the skin.
Coconut oil is great in raw food recipes:
- I use 1 tsp of coconut oil daily in my morning smoothie. It gives it such a nice texture and it is so good for you. (below)
- I use coconut oil in raw protein bars that I make, I keep them in the fridge and it gives them a lovely texture, flavor and holds them together nicely.
- There is a special treat that I make for myself, it is a chocolate, mushroom, chia pudding (for immunity and strength) that I use a teaspoon of coconut oil in to add smooth creaminess too.
- I like a teeny bit of coconut oil in hot tea with a pinch of raw cacao for a special treat as well.
- I even use coconut oil with cashews and stevia to make a delicious frosting. There are a lot of ways to use coconut oil…there are even more reasons why you should.
Coconut oil has lauric acid, caprylic acid, capric acid. These acids give it antimicrobial, antifungal, antibacterial and antioxidant abilities. It is mostly saturated fat, 92% with a small percentage being mono unsaturated and poly unsaturated. Coconut oil is a healthy fat.
Some of the benefits that are attributed to coconut oil include;
- weight loss
- heart disease
- healing and infections
- kidney stones
- liver disease
- bone loss
- tooth decay
- hormone regulation
“Coconut oil has fewer calories than any other fat source. Unlike the high-calorie, cholesterol-soaked, long-chain, saturated animal fats found in meat and dairy products, coconut cream and coconut oil are made of raw saturated fats containing mostly medium-chain fatty acids that the body can metabolize efficiently and convert to energy quickly.”(Wolfe, 2009)
Coconut oil helps to regulate blood sugar. It is one fat that diabetics can eat without fear.
A funny story about coconut oil and weight loss is from the 1940’s; coconut oil was used by some farmers to help fatten up their cows, the opposite happened…the cows became leaner.
Coconut oil is useful for bone and dental health because it improves calcium and magnesium absorption. This is good for dental health. It is especially beneficial to women who are at the age to develop osteoporosis.
When you go to order or purchase your coconut oil this is what you should look for: organic-raw-extra virgin-cold pressed.
There is also coconut water, shredded coconut and coconut butter.
Add coconut oil to your household, you will not be sorry!
We have a plan!
It is to get all the brilliant and energetic health coaches all over the world together to prepare a book with the most healthy recipes on the planet! They are all donating their recipes and their stories to share with you.
In return, they will be helping to cure, treat and prevent T1D juvenile diabetes and with your purchase of the “Sharing the Health Recipe E-Book” you will be helping children to move closer to health.
Thank you for your support!
copyright Cathy Sykora 2012 all rights reserved
Wolfe, D. (2009). Superfoods. Berkley: North Atlantic Books.